CD ripping is broken on USB drives

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Mon May 10 12:28:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:04:39 +0200
Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 08:37, Jurgen Botz wrote:
> > Finally got a chance to test a stock linux kernel (latest from
> > bk as of this afternoon) and it works fine.  If I can find the
> > time I'll rebuild the kernel src RPM with various patches turned
> > off to see if I can figure out which of them breaks sg with USB.
>
> But you don't need sg to rip from USB....
> Yes I know I sound like a broken record.

Hello, Everyone :)
I have been following this specific thread, and this general subject,
with great interest, since I have had the same problem and am interested
in it's solution.  First of all, here is some proof that the drive Does
exist: (I've uploaded a screenshot of the output of the "usbview"
command because I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste from the
"usbview" browser :)
http://www.faith4miracle.org/iomega-usbview.jpg

Here is the output of "cdrecord -scanbus":
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities
page.
        0,1,0     1) 'E-IDE   ' 'CD-ROM 50X      ' '50  ' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

Last night, I updated to the latest Rawhide (if I can still use that
term) kernel and I successfully burned a cd from an image that I had
made yesterday.  Problem is, when I tried to rip a cd this morning, this
is the output from "cdparanoia -v -d /dev/scd0 -B 1- TheJam.wav" that I
got (I have edited it greatly, because I think it would have kept going
if I hadn't stopped it):

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/scd0 for cdrom...
	Testing /dev/scd0 for cooked ioctl() interface
		/dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
	Testing /dev/scd0 for SCSI interface
Error trying to open /dev/sg0 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sga exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg1 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgb exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg2 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgc exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg3 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgd exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg4 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sge exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg5 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgf exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg6 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgg exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg7 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgh exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg8 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgi exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg9 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgj exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg10 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sgk exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/sg11 exclusively (No such device or address). retrying in 1 second.

I was logged in as root when I tried all of this.
I don't in any way deny the reality of your statement as contained in
the following quotation:

> But you don't need sg to rip from USB....
> Yes I know I sound like a broken record.

So I assume that I am probably doing something wrong.  The command that
I used to try to rip from the above mentioned Iomega external CDRW drive
is the same one that still works perfectly under Fedora Core 1.  To
clarify, I am running FC1 and FC2TR3 on the same box, with the same
Iomega drive plugged into the same USB2 port, ripping does work under
FC1, and it Does Not work under FC2TR3.

In closing, I truly believe that maybe I am doing something wrong, and
that maybe something has changed about the way I'm supposed to rip CD's
under FC2TR3.  If that is the case, I'd love to know what to do so I can
make it work :)

If I have left out any necessary information, please let me know.

Have a Great Day :)
Steven P. Ulrick

OOops, Just saw this at the beginning of the output of "cdrecord
-scanbus":

scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2

For all I know, it might be meaningless, but I'm not an expert :)