CD ripping is broken on USB drives

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Mon May 10 15:05:14 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> But you don't need sg to rip from USB....
> Yes I know I sound like a broken record.

Not quite... you do not repeat yourself, but you rhyme
(apologies to Mark Twain).

Seriously, if you don't need sg to rip from USB, could
you PLEASE enlighten us as to how it's done??? Even if
I explicitly tell cdparanoia to used /dev/scd0 as both
the cdrom device and generic device it still tries to
open sg0...

   nova:/tmp$ cdparanoia -d /dev/scd0 -g /dev/scd0 1
   cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
   (C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

   Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
   http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

   Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Read-only file system).
     retrying in 1 second.
   Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Read-only file system).
     retrying in 1 second.

Is there a secret undocumented "don't use sg" flag?  Or
did you mean by "you don't need..." that someone ought
to fix the applications not to demand the sg device?  If
the later, I'll even volunteer to work on it, just bloody
say so!  (And of course it's too late for FC2, which means
that in any case I'm right and CD ripping is broken from
USB in FC2.)

:j