Re: Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Once upon a time, Seth Nickell <snickell redhat com> said:
> 3) The default packages in the  package sets (in the comps file) may not
> include any applications that are functional duplicates. In other words,
> if the user clicks all the package sets in the installer (other than
> everything), they should not end up with two web browsers or two
> spreadsheets in the menus. To give a hypothetical example, lets say we
> shipped Gnumeric as one of the default apps in the "Office" package set.
> In this case OpenOffice.org Calc should not show up in the menus, even
> if the openoffice.org package is installed (presuming we install the
> rest of openoffice by default). One way to address this would be to
> include a separate "openoffice.org-calc" package that simply installs
> a .desktop file.

I understand trying to make things simpler, but I also have a problem
with this.  I will sometimes intentionally install multiple things (like
OOo and Gnumeric), with the intention of checking them both out to see
which one I like (or does what I want) better.  I install both from the
regular install menu in anaconda; with your rule above, I wouldn't end
up with both in the desktop menus that way.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>