Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Seth Nickell snickell at redhat.com
Fri May 14 00:39:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 20:11 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > I understand trying to make things simpler, but I also have a problem
> > with this.  I will sometimes intentionally install multiple things (like
> > OOo and Gnumeric), with the intention of checking them both out to see
> > which one I like (or does what I want) better.  I install both from the
> > regular install menu in anaconda; with your rule above, I wouldn't end
> > up with both in the desktop menus that way.
> >

> I couldn't agree more - I admin systems for a number of people. They use
> various pieces of software on their own - some like gnumeric b/c it is
> fast, some like open office calc for other reasons. What is the merit in
> removing these menu options? How will you allow for difference of
> choices b/t users?

This is not the same issue. You can still install whatever the hell you
want for your users. This is about what we treat as a default, or
slightly customized default, install. From the installer you can still
select individual packages, or go inside a package set and select one of
the packages that is not installed by default but is a member of that
set.

That said, the current "everything shows up in everybody's menu" way of
doing things is lame. That problem should be addressed head on.

-Seth