Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 14 02:07:19 UTC 2004

> This is not the same issue. You can still install whatever the hell you
> want for your users. This is about what we treat as a default, or
> slightly customized default, install. From the installer you can still
> select individual packages, or go inside a package set and select one of
> the packages that is not installed by default but is a member of that
> set.

ok - this part wasn't terribly clear in your policy - it would be useful
to specify that a bit.

> That said, the current "everything shows up in everybody's menu" way of
> doing things is lame. That problem should be addressed head on.

I think that is a function of getting the menu editing working, not a
function of setting .desktop file policy. Moreover, when a user first
logs in - they should probably see the range of options of installed
software, otherwise they'll probably never find the rest of it.

-sv