Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri May 14 14:09:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:21, seth vidal wrote:
> > And you expect users to sit down when they first log in and evaluate all
> > the various options for software, pick one for each task?  Nobody wants
> > to do that.  They want one application that just works.
> >

> As opposed to what other option? Hunt around to edit their menus up?

I wouldn't expect most users to edit the menu at all.  They'll just use
the default.

> If they don't know what's on the machine, then how are they supposed to
> determine which application is best for them?

Again, I don't think most users are going to want to spend time
evaluating various applications.

> Moreover, what if they already have a preferred application? But it's
> not the 'preferred one' by your standards. How are they supposed to find
> it?

If they have a preferred application, they're more of a power user.
Probably something like the MacOS "Applications" folder would be a good
solution here, as Rex suggested.