Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri May 14 14:29:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, seth vidal wrote:
> > I wouldn't expect most users to edit the menu at all.  They'll just use
> > the default.
>
> *boggle* what is the threshold to move from new user to power user - it
> seems it is set a bit too low.

In the current situation where you have to edit xml files manually to edit
the menus I guess the "most users dont edit the menu" stands pretty well
:-/

> > Again, I don't think most users are going to want to spend time
> > evaluating various applications.
>
> Ok - so I have to ask - how many user interactions have y'all had?
> (y'all == the people deciding this policy?)
>
> I interact with users everday - more importantly users of desktop linux
> systems and they pick over the apps all day until they find one they
> like, then they cling to it like lichen on a cave wall.

Heh, nice expression :) The "most users" term bothers me here - maybe the
average secretary in corporate environment isn't interested in editing
menus or evaluating different applications but that's not the target crowd
of FC, the last I heard.

I've absolutely nothing against having sane, good defaults in the menus
but too much of "we know whats best for you" is .. too much, especially
considering the target group of FC, half of which are hackers and the
rest on their way there I assume :)

	- Panu -