Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri May 14 12:48:44 UTC 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 21:15, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 19:06 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > I understand trying to make things simpler, but I also have a problem
> > with this.  I will sometimes intentionally install multiple things (like
> > OOo and Gnumeric), with the intention of checking them both out to see
> > which one I like (or does what I want) better.  I install both from the
> > regular install menu in anaconda; with your rule above, I wouldn't end
> > up with both in the desktop menus that way.
>
> Actually, I think this would be fine as long as only one of them were
> selected as a default in anaconda.  If somebody goes to the trouble of
> clicking to turn on all of the optional things in every component, if
> the results are somewhat similar to an everything install in terms of
> having a little bit more clutter, that doesn't strike me as a horrible
> thing

I agree.  While evolution is nice, I prefer kmail and specifically select it
for installation.  However, I also run metacity and mostly other gnome
applications because I prefer them.  The current FC2 menus do not show kmail
as an option in the menu ... I know how to fix this but others may not.

While some applications purely duplicate each other, others may provide a
different style of working (kmail vs evolution) or may not work in every
condition (Xine vs Mplayer cited by Alan).  If this effort (described in this
thread) is intended as part of the effort to provide menu editing ... great!
However, it should be easily possible to add or subtract items graphically.
--
Gene