i586 kernel [was Re: Module symbol versions in installer kernel]

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat May 15 21:26:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 05:07:54PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > It does?  What about AMD K6 computers?  They are i586 and they are newer
> > than 1995 or 1998.  Fedora Core works wonderfully on my 2001 model AMD
>
> Well, maybe now is not the time. But I think next year or the year after
> that *will* be.

Well, please remember that all kinds of special devices (SBC's etc.)
still often have i386 or i486-compatible CPU's and are very well
suited for use with Linux.  This could be covered by a Lite-version
or so, but keep in mind that these systems do exists *and* are used.
I think often Debian is used for these systems, but I'm not a Debian
fan and I think we should have something to choose anyway.

The world just does not only consists of "PC's" in the literal meaning.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>