On disttags (was: Choosing rpm-release for fc1 and fdr add-on rpms)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 18 21:49:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 06:36:11PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 18, 2004, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
>
> > The bottom line is disttags bring a lot of benefits as can bee seen in
> > their implementation in the wild, have caused no harm, and come at
> > very little expense.
>
> I don't see benefits for the core proper, and I do see problems.  So
> it's not as clear-cut as you say.  The reality of add-on repositories
> is quite different because their goal is to use the same package on
> multiple OSs.  Issuing updates doesn't work that way.

While there are benefits for the core (automatic rawhide rebuilds,
easier identification of fixes due to no unneccessary release bumbing,
common errata), the Fedora project is not only core.

As this is a problem discussed many times in the community and
reaching for Red Hat's participation, you cannot close your scope onto
core only. Common specs and guidelines are needed, and packages should
be technically treated equally, e.g. they should not have to be
rewritten to move to core for example, core, extras, and anything else
should blend in nicely in a canonical scheme.

Anyway this discussion only raised the interest of two Red Hat
developers, which weren't convinced about the idea (although
Alexandre was close at some time). I'd say it still cannot penetrate
into Red Hat, we'll try again in half a year ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net