Upgrading FC1 to FC2: Severe problem with modules

I yesterday upgraded from FC1 to FC2.
However the boot failed as it couldn't find the initrd. After I booted
from the rescue disk, I noticed that initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img wasn't
present. I tried to inkoke new-kernel-pkg myself, but it failed, because
it couldn't find the initio scsi driver. It seems that initio is not
supported anymore in 2.6, which isn't so dramatic as I had it only for
my Zip drive. I had to manually delete all references from modprobe.conf
and hwconf so that new-kernel-pkg would work. I think this is a severe
problem that should not have happened.

BTW, why are the harddisks shut down on reboot?
--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstrasse 35