On disttags

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed May 19 18:00:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:49:42 -0500, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Isn't fedora's policy now, in general, to *not* backport fixes, but to
> upgrade to the latest upstream version?

what does "in general" really mean?  It certaintly doesn't mean
garunteed, absolutely not going to need to do backports. Do the right
thing for the right reasons for the right package. I'm sure upstream
latest versions of applications will be very common. I'm not so
certain that upstream latest versions will always be appropriate for
the library level nor the kernel itself. The point is any naming
policy must be flexible enough to ensure that backporting fixes and
building patched errata still has a place to work smoothly, especially
because anything important enough to require a backport over a latest
version push is going to be VERY important and need to update smoothly
since these sorts of things tend to be security related. Building a
naming policy that makes trivial feature updates work with mindnumbing
automated ease...but makes critically important security backported
package updates a pain in the ass to install...is short sighted.

-jef