[Fwd: Re: Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a Good Thing [tm]]

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed May 19 20:30:05 UTC 2004

On May 19, 2004, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 15:24 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On May 19, 2004, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Look, the phrase I ponted out adds restrictions on distribution.
>>
>> >    YES or NO ?
>>
>> Of the whole, yes; of the individual packages released under the GNU
>> GPL or LGPL, no.

> The whole includes GPL and LGPL stuff.

> YES or NO ? :)

Yes.

> Restrictions on the whole superimpose on the GPL and LGPL stuff.

> YES or NO ?

No.

You're free to distribute the GPL-licensed packages as specified by
the GPL.

You're free to distribute the LGPL-licensed packages as specified by
the LGPL.

You're free to distribute other packages as specified by their
respective licenses.

You're free to distribute the whole as specified by its license.

If the whole license said you can't take individual packages and
distribute them, it would be in violation of the GPL.

If the GPL said you can't aggregate GPL packages with non-GPL
packages, you wouldn't be able to create the bundle, but there's a
`mere aggregation' clause in the GPL that permits this.

So all looks fine to me.

#include <std/IANAL>