Re: Making NPTL the default for FC3, vanilla i386 support

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 08:24:35AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Using .i586.rpm's wouldn't buy us anything (-march=i586 -mtune=pentium4
> is almost equivalent to -march=i486 -mtune=pentium4 and not
> many programs really use cmpxchg8b instructions (which is not
> even generated by GCC)) and moving the low bar to
> .i686.rpm (note, i686 for GCC/rpm means i686 with X86_FEATURE_CMOV)
> is probably too early for Fedora Core (there are still too many
> VIA CPUs without cmov and even some Pentium's in use).

I think that if the time isn't FC3, it's very very soon after that. I know
that there are many older systems out there, and that they can have a very
useful life under Linux, but there are other more focused, lightweight
distributions which might be better choices there. Perhaps there could even
be a Fedora Lite project branch, if there's enough interest. (And if there's
not enough interest, that says something too.)