Distribution checking tool

There might be a need for distribution checking tool.
This tool would check for packages from older distributions that deemed
obsolete (for example I had still qtcups and cipe hanging around), also
configuration files in /etc and other locations. It would look for
.rpmsave and .rpmnew files. For each of these problems it could offer a
way to fix it or retain it as it is. I have the feeling that a lot of
the problems with upgrading is those files from earlier distributions
interfering.

I think there is also a problem of stale gconf keys. For example I had
at some time several keys of the same name, but the one with a "-" in
it, the other with a "_". Is there a way to clean up the gconf database?
--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstrasse 35