safe to remove IPV6 from kernel?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 21 09:08:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 00:05 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> SB> Quick query, as the title suggests I'm wondering if its safe to
> SB> remove ip6 from kernel in FC2 + devel?
>
> I thought it was built modular, so you could just not load the modules
> or even move them out of the way and see what breaks.

It is built modular, but CONFIG_IPV6 is one of those broken config
options where setting it to 'm' actually changes things inside the
_main_ kernel image. It doesn't _just_ cause the extra module to be
built.

I don't understand which of those changes is causing a problem for Stan,
but it's probably best to try to fix that directly so that having the
ipv6 module available but unloaded is no longer a problem.

Stan, can you elaborate?

--
dwmw2