safe to remove IPV6 from kernel?

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Sat May 22 02:50:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:21, Warren Togami wrote:

> >>This is not a topic suitable for fedora-devel-list, because you appear
> >>to be doing something unsupported for yourself and would not otherwise
> >

> > So I'd be alone in having no use for ipv6?  doubtful.
> >

> We will not be removing functionality in order to accomodate YOUR needs.

First of all I'm sick of this attitude Warren.  I wasn't asking YOU to
remove IPv6 from the kernel.  My question was if I remove it, am I going
to face problems...

>   I personally don't use 70% of the drivers supplied in the kernel, or
> maybe 40% of the packages in FC, but I realize other people do use and
> appreciate it being there.

Yeah again you miss the point.

> That being said, Open Source gives you the freedom to customize and
> optimize the software to your desires, and nobody can stop you.  In most
> cases however, it would be off-topic for this list.

Yeah I get how opensource works.  That wasn't my question.

> >>contribute any improvement value to development of the Fedora Project.
> >

> > So you feel this question is of no value?  Lot's of people have no use
> > for ipv6 at this point in time.  People rebuild kernels all the time and
> > ask questions here.  How is this any different?
>
> This is off-topic for fedora-devel-list, because it does not contribute
> anything toward the general improvement of Fedora development.  Many
> other posts and entire threads on fedora-devel-list lower the signal to
> noise ratio, and as a result high level developers have decided to avoid
> reading this list entirely.  That is a loss to overall communication and
> transparency.

Maybe it is because when they ask a legitimate question you send them
away?

> As a result, I and other Fedora maintainers will be increasingly frankly
> reminding list membership about proper list usage.

All I asked was if it was safe for me to remove IPv6 from latest test
kernel, I don't see how asking a question about development kernel is
suited for the fedora-list...

> >>It may be on topic for fedora-list.
> >>

> > Or maybe they'll say why aren't you posting it to -devel since I'm using
> > latest -devel packages.
> >

> Because it is a devel package that you are talking about, then
> fedora-test-list is the proper place to discuss it.  That list is for
> both rawhide and test release discussion.

You just told me in your previous e-mail to use the fedora-list when I
clearly stated I was talking about a development kernel.  I can see why
people don't post questions to these lists when all they get is attitude
and a never-ending run around.  You don't seem to know where I should
post this question, how am I suppost to?

> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

All I was looking for was a Yes or No not your opinion on everything
except what I actually ask.  This could have a been a *2* message
thread...instead you turned into a crapfest by not reading my e-mails
carefully and being rude for me asking a VERY SIMPLE question.

Good Day,

Stan