VPN solution(s) for Fedora Core

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun May 23 19:56:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 08:52, Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> I think the other main contender for VPN software in Fedora Core would
> be Openswan.  OpenVPN is portable, comfortable (being in userspace),
> flexible, and easy, but Openswan implements IPsec which is (mostly)
> standardized across vendors, and that's certainly a strong selling
> point, in spite of its complexity.

Openswan is good to keep around, just in case you need to talk to IPSec
devices. But it's a pain in the butt; it's NAT-unfriendly, free and good
Windows clients are lacking, interoperability is problematic, etc.

I said, to hell with it, i installed OpenVPN and It Simply Works. It is
easy to setup (both server and clients), it does not care about NAT, the
Windows client is not a problem (it's the same software as the server),
interoperability is a breeze...

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/