Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon May 24 13:12:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:45:13 -0400, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Steven brings up a larger issue.  With Fedora going to the "distributed"
> model, at what point do we start to try (if at all?) to "reduce" the
> size Fedore "Core" (FC)?

Feel free to start "educating" people like those who review
distributions in the media outlets, see if you can get them to agree
that having a 1 cd binary distribution is worth the effort if it that
lacks things like openoffice.

I'd rather not get into a discussion about whether Core should be 1 cd
or 2 or 8.
I'd much rather get into a discussion of what type of installs and
uses Core should be aimed at. I think the size of the core
distribution follows from the usage situation expected.  If Fedora
Core is meant to be general purpose..i dont think 1 CD is going to cut
it.   If people looking for 1 CD image are primarily interested in
specifically tasks servers or perhaps lowball hardware...i dont
necessarily thing the core install and core media sets should be aimed
at that usage. Following Havoc's suggestion regarding prepackaged
configs in another thread perhaps there is a new way to approach the
idea outside of anaconda that doesn't invovle gutting the official
fedora core media set.

-jef"and we sure as hell better not start dumping things from Core
into Extras until there is a clear understanding of how to use Extras
during installs and upgrades without requiring network
connectivity"spaleta