Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:30:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:57:13 -0400, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> cd/dvd images of extras are dramatically simpler, though b/c they don't
> have to boot and be in order.

don't have to be in order?  Are we saying that we are going to be
happy with the idea that if extras spans 5 cd images while core spans
1... that its perfectly okay that users trying to use those 5 cd extra
images will have to swap in those 5 cd images somewhat randomly to
fill the dependancy chain?  I thought part of the point of ordering
images was to prevent the extra hassle of having to repeatedly go
between cd1 and cd3 over and over again during the install process.
Why would this be any different for Extras?

And I'm also somewhat concerned that whatever mechanism is created to
tie in Extras into the install/upgrade proces...that mechnism needs to
be general enough to encompass 3rd party repos too. No hardwiring of
extras into the default logic of firstboot or anaconda. No a priori
knowledge of the groupings to expect on the extra cds, things like
that. Whatever works with extras needs to work with things like
intranet or 3rd party addon media, in a general way...including
defined package groups outside of Core comps definition.

-jef