Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon May 24 14:37:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 14:38, Dave Jones wrote:

> I'd really like to see us get to the stage where an install just
> installs a bare-bones system[1], and after booting, firstboot runs
> system-config-packages to pull in anything else we desire.
> Moving the bulk of the package selection out of the installer.
> I think I recall Jeremy being quite enthusiastic about this too
> at various points in time, so who knows.. it could happen 8)

This fits quite nicely with the thread on "prepackaged configurations"

There would have to be some sort of configuration that firstboot reads,
saying "Use a canned configuration from CD  (such as we have with
Desktop/Workstation/Server at the moment)
OR use a network configuration server for my post-install step(s)"

It would make sense to use the same syntax for all configurations - just
that a small set would be held on CD and read from local disk for
a stand-alone install.