rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed May 26 02:14:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 09:55:24PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> Well, for the packages in fedora core, the 'Group:' field will need to
> remain, since we use it for things like sorting debuginfo packages into
> separate dirs and such. It is also useful for quick 'what does this
> package do' ponderings when looking at rpm -qip output.

But what's the good of sorting them into separate dirs by vague and
ill-fitting categories? If it's a matter of keeping directory size down,
grouping by first letter would be better. Or, do it via comps.xml groups
(with a big "other" category for everything else). Or use some other more
meaningful test.

The same complaint goes for the -qip argument -- a category like "System
Environment/Base" doesn't tell you much about what ScrollKeeper does, or
"Applications/Internet" much about openssh-askpass. And "System
Environment/Daemons" for procmail??? You'll get much more useful (and
quicker) information by looking at the Summary.