rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Wed May 26 01:49:54 UTC 2004

It seems that what we're talking about here is a matter of
standardization, not of storing Group info in comps.xml being better
than storing it in the package header. I mean, someone could create a
comps.xml with wacky groupings just as easily as they could add wacky
groupings to their package's headers, right? Or am I misunderstanding
some aspect of this?

I concede the point about utils like anaconda being geared more toward
using comps.xml than the Group field and agree that we should settle on
one rather than both. But I'm not convinced that it's better to keep all
this information in one file (even one file per repo) instead of in the
packages themselves. What, other than current development trends,
warrants the use of a file that would need to be updated every time a
package got added to a repository if reaching an accepted standard for
Group field values would suffice?

--Brad