Re: rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

Le mar, 25/05/2004 Ã 16:57 -0400, Matthew Miller a Ãcrit :

> But that's not my suggestion. I think Group has become too ugly to be
> properly saved. Applications like synaptic should instead use the comps file
> groups for organizational purposes.

Comps is totally unsuitable since it limits you to whatever packages
where known to the distribution at the time of its release. (ie bye bye
third-party packages).

Like for spec file i18n we need a solution that permits standalone
self-contained packages. Anything else will sort-of work with RedHat and
be rejected by anyone else.

Now if you want mon opinion on rpm organisation, a mix of a Keywords
in-spec field (Matches: java, games, x11) and external group
declarations (external group descriptors, including user-provided group
overlays and perhaps grouping policy files) is the way to go. Really
this is much the same problem as menu building for example.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot