safe to remove IPV6 from kernel?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed May 26 06:36:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 10:25 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:50:38PM -0400, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> > First of all I'm sick of this attitude Warren.  I wasn't asking YOU to
> > remove IPv6 from the kernel.  My question was if I remove it, am I going
> > to face problems...
>
> gftp might break. There was a bug with gftp and ipv6 aware sites that
> Im not sure was fixed by gftp updates, by the fact with have ipv6 or
> in both.

This may have been 'fixed' by the fact that glibc-2.3.3 has a proper
implementation of RFC3484 and will actually return the addresses in
order of the probability of being able to connect to them -- in
particular, if there's an IPv6 global address and an IPv4 address in the
RRset and you don't have a global IPv6 address of your own, it should
return the IPv6 address of the host you're looking up last in the list.

However, if gftp isn't bothering to try _all_ the addresses it's given,
but instead is claiming failure when the first one isn't contactable, it
still wants fixing. Evolution has the same problem.

--
dwmw2