rpm package renames

Chris Chabot chabotc at 4-ice.com
Wed May 26 11:00:06 UTC 2004

Hi Stuart,

Just Obsoletes: should do just fine.

Personaly i do always use a Provides: Even if it's just as documentation of
the past ('this packages used to be called..') and who knows what weird
dependencies 3rd party rpm's have; So it's just good form. However if your
certain nothing ever depends on the package, ofcource it could be left out
(but unless the package was never released 'in the wild', how can you be
certain?)

To prevent the side by side install when they are the same version, a
Conflicts: tag should do the trick.. (Conflicts: foo)

ps, if your into the black arts of rpm packaging (or just have questions
like these), rpm-list at redhat.com is a more suitable list, and has a few
resident packaging experts on it..