rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

Wed May 26 15:39:36 UTC 2004

Le mer, 26/05/2004 à 10:54 -0400, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :

> Personally I think all package level hinting does is get in the way
> because it doesn't provide enough contextual information to be useful
> for anything.

Then define what hinting you need. Because hinting is the only way of
accommodating gracefully unknown standalone packages.

(and btw if the argument is "we don't need no stoopid policy filter with
comps" guess how long it will take for all the various third-party
comps.xmls to diverge from the Fedora one ? Especially for groups that
target multiple distributions ?)

It's a hell more difficult to classify menu entries since you get into
screen-estate problems, are not allowed to have an entry appear in
several places, etc but somehow people manage using only the
freedesktop-defined hinting.

--
Nicolas Mailhot