Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Thu May 27 02:52:45 UTC 2004

On 2004.05.24 01:45, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > Although, again, I don't think it makes a bit of sense to have an
> > app like Scribus in Core.  It's definitely Extras material in my mind.
> > Of course, at this point I'm thinking OpenOffice, Gimp, and various
> > other things are looking like nice targets for Extras.  4 CDs for
> > Core?  :-)
>
> Steven brings up a larger issue.  With Fedora going to the "distributed"
> model, at what point do we start to try (if at all?) to "reduce" the
> size Fedore "Core" (FC)?
>
> I mean, is there a reason we need to maintain a 3+ CD set for FC, just
> as to match the "legacy" design of old Red Hat Linux (RHL)?
>
> I personally would like to see "Core" reduced to a _single_ binary CD.

Why? I've read the barrage of mails this triggered, and I see absolutely
no benefit. I can understand the desire to have a more minimal "minimal"
install package set, and the packages that would be in that set will
probably all sit on the first CD. But that doesn't translate into the
need to limit the size of the distribution. Convenience for those of us
(like me) that use a more extensive package set should not be compromised.

Regards, Willem Riede.