Call for Discussion: Summary document concerning Prevention and Recovery of XP Dual Boot Problems

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu May 27 14:35:50 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 19:04, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 18:45:23 -0400, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Looking in the BIOS is another way for many boxes. Also if you set the
> > bios to LBA that is reported by many to keep stuff happy
>
> yes looking around... it seems using the bios to put the drive into
> LBA mode even
> comes up as a workaround for madrake's release.

Yes, LBA is a key factor to this problem .... I have looked at the whole
document and do not see much about the problem being related to LBA (versus
the physical c/h/s) and I believe this is key to the problem as well as the
preventative solution.  This should be covered in more detail in the
document.

>From other discussions, as I understand it the problem is in the upstream 2.6
kernel and, since Fedora is trying to stay very close to what is in the
upstream kernel, it needs to get fixed there.

A bad part to all of this is that it is likely to hit the new users who are
trying to install FC2 on their Windows system.  When finalized, this should
be published on the fedora-announce-list ... it really should be in the
release note but it is too late for that now.

One regret I have is that the warning popup saying that there was something
"wrong" with the partition table was removed ... at least this would give
users a pause where they might research the problem.
--
Gene