NetworkManager and ndiswrapper

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 17:36:20 UTC 2004

ndiswrapper doesn't create the necessary /sys/class/net/<device>/device
links that HAL needs to be able to actually know that the device is a
real ethernet card, rather than something like the cipsec Cisco IPSec
device, or the sit0 IP6 device.  There's really no other way to know
that wlan0 is really a hardware device or not.  The only way that PCMCIA
cards get to work is because cardmgr dumps the device name
to /var/lib/pcmcia/stab, which we can then match up with the reported
net device name.  ndiswrapper needs to be fixed.

Dan