RedHat forks OpenSSH?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Nov 9 18:36:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 17:50, Damien Miller wrote:

> Some people have taken offence to my cross-posting, I don't understand
> why

It was quite emotional, albeit it's clear you made efforts to stay
rational and even-minded.
In any case, remember that the OpenSSH project is held in high esteem
among the entire Open Source community, RedHat/Fedora included. You guys
are doing an awesome job. But that doesn't mean everyone thinks alike,
down to microscopic details.

I think Red Hat removed that algorithm because it is questionable from a
legal perspective. The simple inclusion of that source code might create
unending legal issues. Remember, Red Hat is a commercial entity, it does
not have an idealistic or a libertarian agenda.
After all, the practical usefulness of that algorithm is limited at
best.

I agree with OpenSSH including that algorithm in the source tarball.
That's fine for them.
I agree with Red Hat removing that algorithm from the tarball. That
makes sense for them too.
Not all entities have similar agendas.

"Thou shalt not enforce thy agenda upon thy neighbour." ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/