Re: Boot poster challenge

IBM did some work regarding this recently.
The biggest set of problems is figuring out what can be parallelized,
and what needs to be sequential. Personally I think that starting up
an xserver is not the best way to ensure a speedy boot process. We do
have bootsplash availible.

You can also look at the work that gentoo has done in this area
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4 .

Their initscripts allow for dependencies which allows for an easily
maintainable parallelized boot process. Unfortunately their runlevels
do not conform to either LSB or POSIX, I forget which one, but they do
work quickly.

Christopher Hotchkiss