Boot poster challenge

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Sun Nov 14 00:05:36 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 12:18 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> While producing a single poster would already be enormously useful,
> the ability to recreate the poster on any system at any point would be
> multiply times more so. So, changes to system components that can be
> gotten into the upstream projects and that can be activated at runtime
> rather than needing to be conditionally compiled in are best.

How about going even further and solving the optimization task
automatically?  Create a system which would (given certain constraints)
make small rearrangements in the order of services, relocate files on
the disk, etc.  It would then keep rebooting, timing and making more
changes.  Eventually converging to... <evil>Windows XP boot
times</evil> :)

Seriously though, I think this project is a great idea.  The problem of
boot times is especially pesky for laptop users.  We're the ones stuck
with crappy hard disks and even worse, have to reboot several times a
day.  The solution here might be a stable suspend-to-disk
implementation.  But this is not happening (yet), so thumbs up for a 10
second boot!

--
Ziga