compat (libgal2 gtkhtml3) packages for Fedora Extras

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Nov 14 17:16:08 UTC 2004

On 11/14/2004 07:36:12 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > Last time I read the packaging guidelines - Fedora.us wanted the
> epoch
> > specified in the release tag.
>
> Never.
>
> > Furthermore, they wanted it to be the first number.
>
> Never.
>
> The prefix 0.fdr has nothing to do with the Epoch. It ensures that
> any
> package merged into Fedora Core would win version-release comparison.

I just looked through the doc again - you're right.
It had been awhile since I read it, I don't package for Fedora (hence
my request for someone who does ...).
Their scheme though is rather complex - I guess to overcome shortcoming
in rpm's versioning - but still overly complex.

It's probably vepoch I was remembering, but not having read the docs -
well anyway, the epoch in the release tag makes sense to me because it
gives a visual representation of what the epoch is just by looking at
the file.

I'm not suggesting Fedora change things, but epoch makes sense, a
complex release scheme, and vepoch - and there you have it.

Oh well.

So - any fedora extras people (who know the release scheme ;) want to
package these for extras?