A single FC4 wish

Richard Li richardl at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 03:08:02 UTC 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 6:51 PM, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>
>> I think that should be done in bugzilla, but:
>> 1.) developers should not close bugs/RFEs just because they do not
>> want
>>     to fix it NOW
>> 2.) there should be a voting system like the one on mozilla.org
>
> bugzilla doesn't allow getting a quick & easy overview of what features
> are requested in which categories. A web page with an outline view and
> bunch of 'Me too!' buttons.

To expand on what Elliot says: Bugzilla is good for task tracking. It's
not so good for tracking what tasks should be done in the context of an
OS release, because there are so many codependent variables that need
to be juggled together at once: priorities, resources, feasibility, and
so forth.

In my mind, creating/maintaining such a list would, ideally, entail:

- gathering all the feature requests (and i think bugzilla is fine for
this part, actually)
- sorting them out by priority (and I think a mozilla.org-type voting
system has significant limitations[1])
- sorting them out by practicality (resources; timeframe; what's going
on upstream; etc.)

and to do this you would need to create a strawman list, circulate on
fedora-devel-list, get feedback, update, and repeat.

Sure, it's work, but how nice would it be to have someone who helps
figure out what really is the priority for the release? :)

Richard

[1] The voting audience for FC4 features is not a representative sample
of the FC4 user base (not everyone votes; not everyone reads Bugzilla;
etc.) Plus, different people have different agendas ("My customers are
non-technical helpdesk users" "My users care about good I/O" etc.)