Re: FC3 DNS resolver issue

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:50:25 -0800, Ulrich Drepper <drepper redhat com> wrote:

> Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>
> > Now few questions:
> > * is this a bug?
>
> No.  Earlier glibc version did an additional lookup just for the sake of
> broken installations like yours.  I've disabled this by default since
> you cannot expect everybody to pay for your convenience.
Ok thanks a lot for the explanation (but anyway: how come someone was
charged for letting me resolve simple internal names like "trex"?? ;)
).
Now, what I know is I have a broken installation; what I do not know
is how to fix it:
Is it broke at the server side (DHCP and/or DNSmasq) or at the client one?
Will be a solution to name all the machines with a proper (or dummy)
domain name (i.e. putting HOSTNAME=trex.local in
/etc/sysconfig/network)?
Any pointers to relevant docs?

Cheers

Gianluca