Re: Boot poster challenge

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 09:28:49PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> another interesting test might be the following:
> disable readahead (both services), store the attached file as /tmp/files
> and put the following near the top of /etc/rc.sysinit:
> /usr/sbin/readahead `/bin/cat /tmp/files`

Hey! Don't waste cycles like that! If you are trying to squeeze things
as much as possible, and since rc.sysinit already requires bash anyway,
you want this instead:

/usr/sbin/readahead $(< /tmp/files)

(assuming that the file list will always exist and be readable)

Now let me go back to rewriting my init scripts into native code...

--
Rudi