Finding the "best" mirror

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Nov 18 15:26:03 UTC 2004

The new feature in yum to use a mirrorlist instead of everbody
donwloading from download.fedora.redhat.com is great. Unfortunately yum
sometimes seems to download from the mirror furthest away and the
downloads are really slow.

But as I was to lazy to edit all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to use
the closest mirror I have written a small script which tries to
determine the best mirror, removes the mirrorlist directive from the
repo file and appends a baseurl line with the best mirror.
If anyone is interested the script can be found at:

http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm
http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-0.fdr.2.src.rpm
http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-yum-0.3-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm

All this is more or less just copied (inspired) by debian's
netselect-apt.

                Adrian