Requests for FC4

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 20:03:49 UTC 2004

Stuart Children (stuart at terminus.co.uk) said:
> >Breaks compatibility with third-party scripts.
>
> How do you mean... you're only adding new functionality. Is the problem
> that third-party scripts wouldn't have a 'save' command? If so then you
> check the exit value of the script, and if it's 1 then retry with
> 'stop'. Again, you start to lose some of the time savings then, but this
> should not be the common case, and would improve as people updated their
> scripts.

Hm, I was misreading it as calling that for all services, which obviously
break.

But even so, implementing it this way means that you read and run
each script at least once, if not twice. The goal is to not look
at the script at all, if at all possible.

One suggestion is a chkconfig 'extension' that creates a TXX link,
which means to don't bother running the stop script.

Bill