Re: Boot poster challenge

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Mark Heslep writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Arjan van de Ven writes:

Add 30 seconds if you're booting off aic79xx.o

Why does loading that gawd-awful microcode take so long?

I don't notice ANY delay when booting XP on the same box.

It shouldn't take more than one or two seconds to initialize the SCSI card.

Same with mptscsi / mptbase here. At least 30 (x2 - once in the bios post and again when the kernel driver loads)

Well, BIOS POST you can't do anything about.

Unless we can use Linux BIOS. I've got a couple scsi boxes that are candidates.

But XP initializes an Adaptec SCSI controller in, at most, 1-2 seconds.

No way did Microsoft write the SCSI driver code themselves. It had to have come from Adaptec, at some point down the line.

So, if Adaptec is, supposedly, gung-ho about Linux these days, why can't they produce a version of aic7xxx.ko that doesn't give you plenty of time to brew a pot of coffee, before it's done whatever the hell it's doing?

Dont know if LSI Logic / Symbios is as eager to please.