Finding the "best" mirror

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri Nov 19 08:17:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 02:41, seth vidal wrote:
> What about combining this:
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/284631
> with netselect and generating a mirrorlist of the best mirrors every
> night or something?
>
> -sv

Not a good idea in my opinion... I try keep my cable modem fairly unused
during the day for interactive stuff but at night I run mirrors and backup
some of my data to a remote server - in other words, if you test the
performance at that time automatically, you'll never find a worthwhile
server...

How about getting the 5 fastest results the first time - then when you run,
start with the first in the list (that way you probably get more consistent
performance) and if that server isn't available, the user cancels out cause
its too slow or something like that, then go to the next server and also find
a new one in the background? That should be fairly seemless for the user
since its fairly unlikely that a normal user will run out of servers in his
list before a new one has been found...

Well, at least at 3:15am this sounds like a good plan :-)

Peter.