Boot poster challenge

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Nov 21 20:41:21 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>>yeah we saw that; sorting the list on disk sector shaved 2 seconds off...
>>>if we want to save more we'll have to fix the on disk layout to be less
>>>spread out. That's not going to be fun...
>>
>>Is there any way to have a "pre-cooked" swap image of all the files you need
>>so that when you boot you can swap it all in in one big contiguous read
>>instead of having to read file by file?
>

> not currently; file contents also never hits swap, it would require like
> a full vm subsystem rewrite to achieve this. It's probably a lot easier
> to either write some defrag tool that can move stuff, or to make a
> hidden automatic buffer in the fs

I was thinking along side the hidden automatic buffer in the fs, just
set asside a partition. and dump everything there in the order needed.

Problem 1: how do we tell the kernel that the block just read equals a
block on one of the mounted FS and that the kernel can use the read
block instead of reading it from the mounted FS?

Problem 2: how do we keep the partition uptodate?

Which makes me wonder if this is the path to follow.

Regards,

Hans

--
EuropeSwPatentFree http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es