Possibly offtopic : Binary only driver

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Nov 22 10:42:12 UTC 2004

søn, 21.11.2004 kl. 22.12 skrev Per Bjornsson:
> On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 15:06 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 03:40:36PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > > I bought a 3D game. I want to play it.
> > >
> > > a) Go back to Windows
> > > b) Use a binary driver on Linux
> >
> > c) Radeon 9x00
>
> Unfortunately, at the moment that is still only true for x<=2. Good
> enough for my purposes (I enjoy the fact that my Radeon 9000 doesn't
> have a fan...) but people who actually care about serious gaming etc are
> unlikely to agree.
>
> Nowadays there is a somewhat promising reverse-engineering effort going
> on for the r300 Radeons as well, with some basic stuff figured out. It's
> unlikely to result in any hardcore-gamer class drivers anytime soon but
> it might result in cool-desktop grade 3D if things keep up.
> (http://r300.sf.net for anyone who's interested, especially people with
> r300 hardware available to help out...)

OT:

When talking about reverse enginering - having a properitary Linux
driver must be easier than having a properitary windows driver? For
instance - take the (halfway) prop. captive NTFS drivers. You could
probably make an instrument a kernel to "look" the windows dll's over
the shoulder in order to se what they are doing - and implement it in
the all-open source/free drivers?