Gnome desktop and mime stuff help

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 01:31:09 UTC 2004

I'm searching for docs on the "right way" of doing Gnome desktop/mime
etc. entries.

I know that the "old way" (before update-desktop-database) still seems
to work, either by accident or by design apps that don't use that
command in %post still seem to function as intended.

I'm trying to package something that has (at least one) a broken
Makefile, as part of make install it want to cat stuff onto /etc/magic, /
etc/gnome-vfs-mime-magic, amongst other things that cause to fail when
built from a non root user - that I *think* are actually handled by
update-desktop-database in the %post script.
I do have a problem though -

man update-desktop-database
No manual entry for update-desktop-database

:(

Since it looks like I have to fix Makefiles anyway to build the package
as an rpm, I'd like to try to do things the right way - I don't think
even under gnome-2.4 that cat >> /etc/gnome-vfs-mime-magic was correct
(which is what the Msakefile wants to do).

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/desktop-file-utils

Not very helpful.
Is there a helpful guide somewhere?

--