Re: i486 base architecture

Nicholas Miell wrote:

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 10:32 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

branch prediction on p4 actually takes hints from the compiler now ;)

That turned out to be useless, Intel no longer recommends it (or even documents it, IIRC). I'm not sure if gcc still generates the hints when targeting P4s.

we *already* optimize for i686 even in the i386 rpms

I meant in terms of using i686 specific instructions (i.e. SSE, SSE2, etc.), not i686 instruction scheduling.

SSE is not an i686 instruction set, it's a Pentium-III-and-better instruction set. SSE2 is Pentium-4-and-better. Other 9686 processors are not compatible with those instruction sets. I hope that you don't run into further problems over this when building packages.

----
Peace,
William