Totem/GStreamer and Fedora

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Oct 7 14:17:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 12:25 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 23:10 +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today, the GStreamer team has released new versions of their GStreamer
> > core and plugins. Also, Bastien Nocera has released a new version of
> > Totem, which features a largely rewritten GStreamer backend, amongst
> > others. There has been a news posting about this on gnomedesktop.org.
> > We're convinced that the current combination of these is the best
> > legally shippable playback application that has been created so far. It
> > might not match mplayer yet, but it's pretty, stable, extensible [1],
> > fits well with the rest of the GNOME desktop and, not unimportant, it
> > will playback quite a few movies and webstreams by default already
> > (Ogg/Theora, in particular). Also, it's actively developed and
> > maintained by a large amount of developers (look at the GStreamer
> > plugins contributor list, for example).
> >
> > How would you guys feel about including this in Fedora Core? It would
> > add a missing piece to the desktop. We're also considering to propose
> > Totem for inclusion in GNOME 2.10.
>
> I updated rawhide to the latest gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins (not
> pushed yet) and built a package for totem. All required rpms are at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/alexl/RPMS/totem/
>
> Can people test this and see if it works well?

Just a note.

There is some problems playing the stream at:
http://mirror.fluendo.com/cortado/
Where totem (actually gnome-vfs) seems to hang. This is really a server-
side bug. Its responding with the whole stream as body to a HEAD or
PROPFIND request (instead of nothing), so gnome-vfs proceeds to download
the whole thing.

The Fluendo people have fixed their server, but can't update the live
machine in a while (the fix needs testing).

http://www.theora.org/ seems to have some other test files.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a suave chivalrous Green Beret She's a foxy African-American angel with
the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!