USB DSL call for testing (Re: USB ADSL Modem support, status of development?)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Oct 3 20:58:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:00 +0530, Srikanth Nori wrote:
> After much wrestling, make-ing and ./configuring, I failed to get any
> sensible work done, and still have no DSL :( . I'll look up the
> website makers of the original driver and see if I can get it working.
> But can someone please confirm whether, or not, this modem has an
> Alcatel Speedtouch chipset?

Yes, it definitely looks like a SpeedTouch. I've added its IDs to the
driver in my CVS tree to see what happens. Wanna give it a try?

	export CVS_RSH=`which ssh`
	cvs -d :ext:cvs.infradead.org:/home/cvs co speedtch
	cd speedtch
	make
	sudo modprobe atm
	sudo insmod ./usb_dsl.ko
	sudo insmod ./speedtch.ko

You also need the firmware. Do you have a CD with firmware on it? We can
try the Alcatel/Thompson firmware if not. Either build the
firmware_extract tool from the userspace package, or download it from
ftp://pentafluge.infradead.org/pub/dsl/firmware_extract.{i386,ppc}

Then run it on whatever firmware file you have, move the resulting
'boot.bin' to /lib/firmware/speedtch_fw1 and 'firmware.bin'
to /lib/firmware/speedtch_fw2_rev123

A current snapshot of the kernel driver is there too, in case you're
IPv6-challenged. It's speedtouch-20041003.tar.gz

--
dwmw2