To package or not to package?

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 22:57:37 UTC 2004

Hi all,
Since where I work I probably will need packaging our products in rpm
format, I would like to  take this chance to help somehow the
community while learning how to properly do it.
I am interested in packaging the kernel driver for TI ACX100/111
wireless network cards, but this poses some issues:
- currently an older version is present in Dag Wieers repo (thanks
Dag!!). Should I ask him "permission" to work on it before doing
anything? would it clash somehow if present in both repos (dag &
extras)?
- How do I deal with the card firmware, which is released as a binary
module (guess much like the intel centrino one)
- What kernel version should it target? the latest rawhide, the one in
Core 2, the last in updates...

Thanks for you thoughts

Gianluca