LVM should not be used by default with FC3

Nathan G. Grennan fedora-devel-list at cygnusx-1.org
Thu Oct 7 08:24:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 17:21 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> Not using LVM makes things more complex if the partition sizes you choose at
> install time end up not matching the type of data you install.  That then
> leads to doing nasty things like moving trees of files to a different file
> system and having sym-links between them which among other things causes
> problems with SE Linux.

Yes, at a higher level it does make things simpler. But at a lower level
it makes things much more complex, and the lower level will come out
when something breaks. In most cases you could solve the running out of
disk space problem by just making everything one big partition. I don't
have a problem with LVM, I just have a problem with as the default,
which will effect the newbies more than anyone else. As for SELinux, I
think it needs a lot of work before it is ready for prime time.

I think the best thing to do if developers are determined to go down
this road is to make it a boot option or something, but not make it the
default for now. All the cases need to be covered first. Does this work
with rescue mode? Will it cause any issues with users trying to
reinstall grub with grub-install?