gnome-volume-manager blank CD defaults

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 8 07:23:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 12:02 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> I wanted to get the Fedora communities opinion on popping up a burn://
> folder when a blank CD is inserted into the drive.  Right now we pop it
> up which makes sense because if you pop in a blank CD most likely you
> want to burn to it.  Problems come in when a user is using browser mode
> in Nautilus.  If you pop the CD in and out a couple of times you get a
> bunch of burn:// folders.  Since you get a CD icon on the desktop which
> you can double click to open up the burn:// folder I am wondering if I
> should turn this off by default.  I am of no opinion either way so I
> want to see how everyone else feels.

I think we should not open it. Not even in spatial mode. I'm off the
opinion that most "automatically open window that can disturb the users
workflow" behaviour is wrong, as it often interfers with peoples use of
the system.

What i'm saying is: putting an icon on the desktop or in the computer
location when you insert some media is fine, this actually helps the
user to easier access the media, and the visible change makes it obvious
the computer actually recognized that you did something. Poping up a
window over the current application can break the users current action,
plus it doesn't educate him on the interaction model we're trying to
plant in the users mind (that the cd icon on the desktop represents the
media).

Currently we don't pop up a filemanager window when you insert any other
kind of media, why should blank cds be different?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an immortal alcoholic sorceror with nothing left to lose. She's a
strong-willed hip-hop femme fatale from a family of eight older brothers. They
fight crime!